9/30/09

A Wonderful Fall Evening

So tonight I made the most perfect supper for a fall evening. Butternut squash soup and an Apple-Almond salad. This is more time than I usually like to spend on a meal, but it was pretty simple otherwise:

Butternut Squash Soup:

1 3-pound butternut squash
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and seed the squash. Cut it into 1-inch cubes and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and the pepper and toss to coat. Spread on a single layer and roast for 15 minutes. Turn and continue to roast until softened, about 15 minutes more. Meanwhile, heat the butter and the remaining oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and sage and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the broth, 2 cups of water, the remaining salt, and the squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.

Apple-Almond Salad:

1/4 cup salad oil
2 tablespoons white sugar (I only used one because I had sweet apples)
2 tablespoons malt or cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
6 cups mixed greens
3 medium-sized apples, cut into wedges
1 cup thinly sliced celery (I didn't use this because I used the rest of my celery in the soup!)
2 tablespoons sliced scallions (I had fresh ones from my garden, even better)
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I only had whole raw almonds, so I cut them up then toasted)

In a screw-top jar, combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and almond extract. Cover the jar and shake well until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Chill in the refrigerator for a half hour to several hours. Just before serving, combine the greens, apple wedges, celery, and scallions in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with the almonds. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve immediately.

Although this was a yummy supper, after it was done I was really grouchy. Both of my kids were a little "off" today and I just felt testy and like I'd reached my limit. But THEN I went for a run, for the first time in a long time. MAGIC!! I was cured!! I'd only been running 5 minutes when I couldn't stop thinking about how awesome my life is and how blessed I am. It was beautiful, just before dusk, the smell and the leaves and the blue sky and being in nature for a while. I was so happy. Best of all, I came home and the kids were in bed, and Brad had the kitchen perfectly CLEAN!! I didn't have to lift a finger. Then I had a nice long hot shower and voila. It's only 8:00pm and tonight I am just going to relax.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

2 comments:

  1. Wow - those recipes sound mouthwatering, but a bit too pains-taking for me. I admire women who go to such troubles to good beautiful meals for their families. No wonder Brad wanted to clean the kitchen! Sounds like you two are creating a wonderful life for yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also attempted a more time consuming supper last night too. Unfortunately NOTHING turned out. And it was for someone else so we ended up having to buy them boston pizza which combined with the groceries I had picked up for the homemade supper; equaled a very expensive meal! yikes!

    Glad you had better luck than me! It sounds delicious! Can Jesse eat almonds?

    ReplyDelete