1/12/09

Wow-WEE!!

So I just followed a link to an article (do-dee-do!) on children and family (la-la-la) written on a well-known liberal blog (hum-drum).....

TO FIND THIS! (some quotes):

"My understanding of reproduction is that it is the basis of the institutions of marriage and family, and those two provide the moorings to the structure of gender and sexual oppression. Family is the social institution that ensures unpaid reproductive and domestic labour, and is concerned with initiating a new generation into the gendered (as I analyzed here) and classed social set-up. Not only that, families prevent money the flow of money from the rich to the poor: wealth accumulates in a few hands to be squandered on and bequeathed to the next generation, and that makes families as economic units selfishly pursue their own interests and become especially prone to consumerism.

So it makes sense to say that if the world has to change, reproduction has to go. Of course there is an ecological responsibility to reduce the human population, or even end it , and a lot was said about that on the blogosphere recently (here, and here), but an ecological consciousness is not how I came to my decision to remain child-free."

This is why- wait for it!:

"I was raised in an extended family setting with a lot of women, and as they got married, I noticed their lives becoming either extremely stressed (if they chose to work) or extremely limited in their scopes, and sometimes even threatened in a pregnancy. This feeling was reinforced when people's indifference to women's condition frustrated me.

Another feeling came from growing up near the poor: married people become much less charitable when they had their children to ‘take care of’, which means expensive schools, football clubs, game consoles, etc., etc. Because of the social premium on marriage and family, the poor also have children, only their children have no future and can easily be exploited by the economic system. If families are for raising and 'taking care of' children, what about the poor and their children? With high incidence of domestic violence, child abuse and 'juvenile delinquency', there are little 'family values' that the underprivileged can realistically talk of."

I love that I live in a free country, where people can hold and express their opinions. I love that this woman has the time, education and vocabulary to philosophize and think and make these assertions. I know (I hope?) that there are a teeny tiny minority of people who feel this way. But EXTINCTION? This is where Godlessness and moral relativism lead- to the ugliest, most meaningless conclusion. And, I guess that is exactly where these thinkers will find themselves within the generation. Okay, so I've had a bad Mom day- week- (3 weeks) and I can't sing the praises of motherhood right now, but I do know that I believe in God, truth, progress, humanity, hope and beauty, the meaning of life, and a bright future for the world. Plus look at these two!!:

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Sarah. I haven't read your blog in so long. It is so good! It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete