10/3/10

A Warm Weekend

I wanted my house to be spotless and to be totally relaxed and prepared for Conference Weekend. Then I ran out of iron pills last week (I'm anemic in my pregnancies), got a cold (that only strikes at night...am I allergic to the night air?) and that together with all the getting up to pee I do these days had me wake Saturday morning exhausted with my house not spotless like I'd hoped. Brad was gone all morning at school so I tried to enjoy conference while cleaning up/watching the kids/cooking and baking buns/fighting the urge to go back to bed. I was a bit discouraged but my Mom said, you're further along than you would be if you hadn't tried at all. Which was true. She also said I could choose not to be grouchy. I tried that, but it didn't work. I'm pretty sure some days, grouchy is kind of inevitable.

Well Brad finally got home around 2 and we ate super delicious potato soup and homemade buns and watched a wonderful session of conference. As soon as conference was over we whipped the kids into swimsuits and Brad took them to the lake for a couple of hours. It was beautiful outside, but I was so swollen and too tired to go. So I sat at the computer and we texted while he sent me pictures of the kids. Almost like being there, right?

Then Brad left to go to Priesthood session and I put the kids to bed. I was so excited because I started reading the kids their first chapter book, The Tale of Despereaux. I didn't know if they would like it but they love it and keep asking for "one more" chapter. I love sitting in the rocking chair with a pillow behind my back and the kids tucked into bed and getting caught up in the same surreal magic I felt as a kid when my Mom would read to us like that. I've been waiting to do this for years!

Sunday morning came and I woke up to blueberry bran muffins and bacon and eggs. We pulled the couch up and put the computer on the table so we could watch conference. Brad and I had about 3 naps each during the day, watched conference and spent most of the day lazing around and trying to keep the kids distracted. Then we went for dinner at a friend's and the kids had fun playing and we had a great time visiting.

So my house might not have been perfect, but there was a warm, peaceful feeling in the home which is exactly what I wanted. Even if the kids didn't get anything out of conference, I'm sure they felt the spirit it brought into our home and spending time as a family is always so nice. I also had a chance to ponder and learn and feel the spirit and repent in my heart and decide to do better. I can't wait to get the Conference Ensign and read the talks again.  I love the gospel and am so grateful for the happiness it brings.

Breanna was enthralled with the Tabernacle Choir. She sat just staring.
Jesse and Daddy wrestling. Note my unmade bed and the kleenex from blowing my nose a million times the night before...Sorry....

1 comment:

  1. So many wonderful things about this post: that you try to make Conference weekend special by cleaning and cooking nice things, that Brad is such an amazing dad to go to school on a Saturday and then have the energy to come home and spend quality time with his kids, that you had time to be with friends, that you discovered the joy of reading chapter books with your children... I loved reading about it all. Yes, grouchy days come along, but if you work at giving your children this kind of solid family experience, they will survive the odd grouchy day and have a wonderful childhood. You not only enjoyed Conference, you lived the spirit of it in your home.

    ReplyDelete