5/26/11

When it's cloudy and the sun hasn't shone in a few days, I go to my happy place:

The Children's section of the Library!!! :)

This place is next to sacred for my kids and I. My kids run in and out of the aisles laughing and playing tag and then get told, no running allowed! by the library worker, and so they have to stop. But the next time we go I let them do it again. Until someone asks them to stop. Then they play computer games. (Does that make it not so sacred?)

Meanwhile, I browse the children's books and make the most delightful discoveries. Seriously, happiness is children's books.

I found good ones this round. Like this one with the most beautiful pictures:


This is one Jesse wants to read over and over:



And this one, it's so good to teach kids that everyone has a story and not to judge. It almost made me cry.


Sometimes I even pray to find good books. Haha! To be fair, I pray about a lot of things throughout the day. I always walk out with a huge bag of books. Makes it very awkward carrying the library bag, the carseat with Afton inside, the diaper bag, and trying to manage Jesse and Breanna at the same time. Sometimes I feel like the library workers are giving me the evil eye, especially when I just paid off a $15 library fine. Tee-hee.

Then we get home with this big bag of books and I can't wait to read to my kids. Hours of bonding.

I'm so glad my Mom instilled in me a love of books. She's a writer, you know. I hope to instil that same love in my kids, but especially of the Book of Mormon. (Jesse is currently clutching a small Book of Mormon to his chest, wearing his Indiana Jones hat, and sleeping. Talk about break my heart!)

Finally, a picture: (High River parade day!)






3 comments:

  1. Lucky is the kid who has a mother who reads to him. So proud of you!
    And who is that handsome young man on the far left in the parade picture? Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I enjoy your blog. Congrats on your new baby…she is lovely and I love the name Afton…that was my Grandma’s name…it is not a very common name but it is so timeless and beautiful. ..it was always a front runner name for me if I were to ever have a girl. Good pick.
    These are some of my/my boy’s favorite books if the next time you are in the library you are wanting a good recommendation, these books never disappoint! (they are the kind of books that you can really get theatrical when you read them out loud with, which is fun. Plus they often are good teaching books to): Howard B. Wigglebottom series, How do Dinosaurs…(eat their food, clean their rooms, play with their friends, go to school, go to the doctor, learn to read) series, and Any of the scaredy squirrel series (so cute and funny to me). We also love any Usborne books…they really are great books…I haven’t met one I didn’t like yet.
    That is so cool that your mom is a writer…I have always wanted to meet a real life writer…Published writers are like superheroes to me—I can’t really explain it but books/Authors seem to have this aura of immortality that I have always envied.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal, thanks so much for your comment!! It made my night! I am soooo glad you gave me some new book ideas. I'm always looking for good kids' books. And the way you describe the name Afton is exactly how I would describe it. Good to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete