7/16/10

The Trouble with Summer

If I wake up and the sun is shining, I have to get out. We have to do something fun. This is a problem because despite being a lowly housewife, I have many things to do to keep this house running smoothly. And if every day I am running out the door doing those fun things, the daily grind never gets done and I am left with a messy house, makeshift suppers (cheese and crackers anyone?) and an increasing number of things-to-do on my list. On top of that, my kids forget one very important thing. One very VERY important thing. How to play. Just. Play. All day. Like they did before. So when a day comes along, like today, that I think to myself, I am going to clean ALL THE THINGS and go to the _______ bank, the kids get in the way: "Mom, can I color, can I have a snack, can I watch a show, I'm tired, and worst of all, I'm going to get into everything I know I'm not supposed to because that's what I need to stimulate my overly entertained brain." So I announced to the kids this morning, today you have one job: play. And if you start to feel neglected, I want you to think back to this kind of thing:


Etc. Etc. Etc.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the way you tell your kids their job is to play. I just LOVE that. So wise.

    ReplyDelete