7/22/10



I already feel bad enough about myself these days, but add to the mix a couple of beautiful, smart, sweet kids and it's amazing just how bad you can feel.



Let's be honest, I expect Jesse to be perfect and I am really hard on him. He's such a good, nice boy which makes it that much worse, because I hate punishing a boy who is so good and nice when Brad and I make so many mistakes and let me tell you it is not beyond this kid to notice. I wouldn't get it, either, if I were him.



Just one of many examples: Today Brad and I tried teaching him to ride a bike and Jesse was hesitant right from the start. I said, "Jesse, we won't get upset with you if you can't do it." I thought maybe that was what he was afraid of. He looked at us and said "But will you get mad at each other?" We had been arguing about how to teach him. Then he walked away.





And what am I supposed to do with this? Today I was talking to my Mom on the phone when suddenly I hear a little sob from the bathroom and these heartbroken little words: "Oh no! Now what am I going to do?"I go into the bathroom and there on the floor is a big poop. This ongoing problem really gets me and Breanna knows it. But what am I supposed to do when she looks at me crying, "sorry, Mommy, sorry. Are you mad at me?"



I just feel sometimes like Heavenly Father sent these perfect little angels to the wrong parents and that we are going to ruin them. I really am trying, but on days like this I think...not hard enough.

3 comments:

  1. This post broke my heart. Every parent feels this way. I still feel this way sometimes.
    This is the way children reveal us to ourselves. This is the way we grow as parents and as children of God, by facing our weaknesses, looking them right in the eye, and battling them in the chambers of our soul.
    God entrusted these extraordinary souls to you because He knew you would love them more than your sins and weaknesses. He knew you would love them enough to face up to yourself and teach them the most important things. In many ways, your kids are the luckiest kids on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. I love Jesse and Breanna! What sweet (and heartbreaking) stories. Believe me we have them too. It seems like such a fine balance between disciplining and being a nagging mom. I feel this way too. A LOT. And I think the difference and what makes you stand out as a mom that is trying so hard is the fact that at the end of a bad day you feel like you should try harder. Not relief that you have 10 hours to yourself or dreading the wake up tomorrow. Although lets face it- bedtime can be sweet relief some days too!
    I think you are an amazing Mom. I hope today is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like this is me every day! I thought I was a patient person until I had kids. Being a mom is SO hard! If you have any tips on how to get over the motherly guilt, I'd love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete